Every good training program has gotta start with training goals.
- AMCA Backpacking WPD (spring)
- Mensa & Tok, Emmer & Yodel, Bayou & Yuki
- AKC Rally-Obedience Novice RN (summer)
- Pax, Gypsy, Yuki & Yosha
- IWPA Weightpull WD (fall)
- Cheers, Mensa, Poppet, Bayou, Gypsy, Yuki & Yoshi
Backpacking (WPD) Spring & Fall
Working Pack Dog, offered through the AMCA, constitutes 30 miles, 1 overnight, in at least 10-mile increments (or 4ea 10-mile hikes.) Dog carries 30% of his weight. Generally I don’t ask dogs to carry weight on their shoulders until they are 2 years old since dog shoulders don’t have skeletal support down to the ground the way the dog hips do. And I’m not sure if the seniors can handle the weight. TD has a stainless steel pin in his front leg, so he’s out. That leaves Cheers, Mensa, & Poppet for full weight, but we could bring others for company with lesser weights. (EDIT: changed this up to also train Emmer & Yodel, Bayou & Yuki). And since I can’t stand the heat of summer, we’d have to get done before the weather changes or get done very early in the day. There’s no event structure, we just need an independent person to sign off at the trailhead.
AKC Rally (RN) Fall
It takes 3 Qs or qualifying scores (70+) under at least 2 different judges. Dog must be 6-months-old. Assuming Qs for every entry (which sometimes does happen), it will be $100/dog just for entry fees, plus travel, etc. But realistically, they will need at least 1 class and matches to get ready.
Rally-Obedience Trails in East Tennessee, Fall 2019
- Sep 12-13-14 McDonald, TN $29 (Cleveland)
- Oct 6-6-7/2018 Harriman TN
- Oct 26-26-27 Chattanooga TN $26
- Nov 1-2-3 Knoxville, TN $29
10yo Pax was my class demo dog when I taught Rally for Oak Ridge Kennel Club. So he’s the obvious choice to jump back in. After that, it’s anybody’s game. But I’ll start with everyone and winnow down the list as we find dogs who like performing and have the confidence to do it in public.
Weightpull (IWPA-WD) Winter
The International Weight Pull Association (IWPA) season is September 1 through March 31. The dog must be over 12 months old. A IWPA-WD (Working Dog) Degree can be earned by pulling 12x the dog’s weight on wheels 4 times. Working Dog Excellent (wheels) 18x. Working Dog Superior (wheels) 23x. So a 65# dog needs to pull 780# 4x (wheels), 75#/900#, 85#/1020#, 95#/1140#.
Thankfully, there’s a local 1-day pull in Baxter, TN, every month. Hopefully that will continue next year.
- Training Logs 3/8/19 Tryouts
- Training Logs 3/12/19 Routes
- Training Logs 3/14/19 Loose leash walking in tandem
- Training Logs 3/16/19 3mph
- Training Logs 3/17/19 Mensa meets her backpack
- Training Logs 3/19/19 Tok meets her backpack
- Training Logs 3/20/19 First Day of Spring
- Training Logs 3/22/19 On Backpacks
- Training Logs 3/24/19 Emmer & Yodel
- Training Logs 3/26/19 Alyosha
- Training Logs 3/26/19 Bayou
- Training Logs 3/27/19 Yuki
- Training Logs 3/27/19 The Plan
- Training Logs 3/30/19 Wpull
- Training Logs 3/31/19 Wpull-2
- Training Logs 4/4/19 Hiking
- Big D. meets the Rockstar