Spotlight, 2012-2016

2012 began a really dark time for Wayeh. The losses piled up. They are inevitable. You just don’t expect to take all those body blows one after the other.

RIP Snowman

1/31/13 RIP Snowman 13 years 2 months
Multi BISV Natl/Intl WSCH-B Wayeh’sLastSnoFallofSummerIce CGC TT TDI UAGCH RAE3 URX UROC WRCH CD WCDX UCDX “Snowman”

RIP Singer

12/3/2012. RIP Singer – 13 years, 2 weeks
AKC/INT CH Wayeh’s Soul Song CGC RN WTD WLD “Singer”

RIP ChaCha

11/23/12. RIP ChaCha – 3 years
Wayeh Follow My Lead “ChaCha”

RIP Cali

8/22/2012. RIP Cali – 14 years, 3 months
AKC ptd Totem’s Mystic Princess “Cali”

RIP Tom T.

8/20/2012, RIP Tom T. – 12 years, 8 months, 30 days
Multi BISV Nat’l Jr/Nat’l CH Wayeh’s Tom-Tom of SnowSong CGC RN WTD WLD WWPD “Tom T.”

Georgie Helen Keylon Clack “Mee-maw”
& Edna Ruth Clack Sachs “Mom”
Mee-Maw’s 90th birthday
Mom & Mee-maw 2006

8/14/2012, RIP Mee-Maw, my grandmother, 2 weeks shy of 95 years old.
Georgie Helen Keylon Clack.

Mee-maw 88yo, with her oxygen tank and her single-shot .22 rifle
Because someone has to keep the deer out of her flowers.

The morning, the very morning that mom found Mee-Maw had passed in her sleep, mom had been diagnosed with aggressive estrogen-based breast cancer. What followed her death was 3 years of mom battling cancer. And losing, slow increment by slow increment. Double surgeries, a year of chemo, 45 straight days of radiation… and the vile stuff just spread. Mom hung on, because stubborn runs in the family, for nearly 3 years. But she died on Mother’s Day 2015.

But this is how I remember mom.

My nephew Andrew saw mom on the tractor so often that he called her TRACTOR for years.

April 2016 After mom passed, I had my own rounds with the doctors, cardiologists, endocrinologists, and surgeons. After all the years of taking care of Mee-Maw and mom, I think the hardest part of serious illness was not having them at my side, to take me to doctor’s appointments, to tell me they’d be there when I needed them.

But it turns out I have the best dog-family anyone could ever hope for. Dog-family drove in from GA to get me to the hospital for surgery. Dog-family drove in from Nashville to get me home again. More dog-family drove in from OK to take care of the dogs that first weekend. And even more dog-family drove up from Florida. I can’t begin to list the dog-family that kept me in their prayers. Turns out I had a prayer said for me in the cathedral in San Diego, Baptist prayer lists across East Tennessee, and a mosque in Saudi Arabia. It worked.

Not cancer, not heart disease, it was hyper-thyroidism from a benign tumor. But it took weeks of tests and surgery to find out. After surgery, it took me a couple of years before I was back on my feet and rarin’ to go again.

That’s why the big gaps in Spotlights. That’s why things had to change at Wayeh.

Spread the word. Share this post!