On 11/27/12 my worst nightmare happened. We woke to fire alarms, the basement was fully engulfed, we lost the house and all of its contents. We lost everything in the basement as well as 7 adult dogs and 12 infant 4-week-old puppies.
The two horses Rio and Joy survived the initial fire, and thank-you to the volunteer fireman who stayed in the barn with them to make sure they were calm and safe. However, Joy colicked and died 3 days later from the stress of the whole thing.
The dogs who were outside for the night, frolicking in their Malamute snow games, thankfully survived although they were naturally terrified. Four dogs inside survived, including Hannah the helpful housedog, Vivi, Elf and Salem who was dragged out of the basement burning, survived, although months later are still recovering mentally and Salem's burn treatments are ongoing. -- except by a miracle for Salem who was dragged out of the basement by Bristol Volunteer fire fighters with her muzzle on fire and unconscious. She was saved by a make-shift adaptation of a human oxygen mask and the heroic efforts of Bob Green, Bristol town supervisor and volunteer fire fighter
Lost that terrible night, were 8 housecats upstairs and the following dogs:
The fire inspector determined that a faulty power strip was the cause of the devastation. So PLEASE, if your power strips are over 6-months-old, throw them out, get new ones.
In the middle of the nightmare, people stepped up. People from all over the world donated money, dogfood, dog supplies, clothes, household goods, time, emotional support as well as hands-on help. And they still are.
We were in a hotel..
Lori Hicks * 585-394-3603 * MASASYU@aol.com * Canandaigua, NY
AMCA since 1998